Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Land of Unexciting Things



For the past week, I've been fairly jazzed by the goings of the world. Don't get me wrong, when people (myself included) say "world", they mean whatever constitutes their own world. For me, this has been the realization that non-winter weather really rocks, that real life jobs might actually be halfway enjoyable, and that a megaplex of sports both nearing their end and hitting their stride would mean constant fun.

Much to my chagrin, I am again left meekly uttering, "Zort". Outside it's raining, and the air is colder than Helen Lovejoy. For the most part, I've come not to be surprised by most weather phenomenons, and when it's warm in January I'll openly thank both global warming and the Mayans. Nevertheless, I feel like late May should not be like this, but what can I do? Watching some sports is easier than being bitter about not controlling the weather.

Fortunately for me, I am quickly reminded of just how anticlimactic and fizzletastic professional sports can be some times. When I was younger, my love of sports was fueled by a die-hard enthusiasm for a select team from each sport, followed by the fact that I was 9 and I couldn't do many things, followed by just generally liking playing sports. Nowdays, I feel like my passion for paying attention to sports would be tempered if not for the jawesome video quality, precision camera work, and flashy replays.

The 2010 NBA conference finals are starting to remind me of something. Oh yea, it's the 2nd round of the 2010 NBA playoffs, in which there were 3 sweeps. It'd be really cool if the Suns beat the Lakers, partly in fact because how much cooler are Steve Nash and Grant Hill than Kobe Bryant?



The problem is Phoenix might not win any games in Los Angeles, which is more of a problem because the series is 2-2-1-1-1 instead of 2-3-2. Both series could end up being real disappointments, and probably will be if Orlando drops game 2 at home against Boston. All of this is extra crappy because these games are spaced out for maximum fluff capacity.

Baseball is again very stinky, unless apparently you're a Washington Nationals fan, who themselves have dropped 4 in a row while their prized #1 pick remains in the minors. Clearly, this is baseball, and the system pays the kings and taxes the paupers. The Yankees and Phillies should be huge favorites to meet in the World Series again, and while both teams lose games sometimes, they obtain a balance by scoring at least 8 runs in all other games.

The real issue is that the Baltimore Orioles have finally clawed themselves into a position to maybe not have the absolute worst record in baseball in a month or so, but then dropped yesterday's game with arch nemesis/powerhouse the Kansas City Royals. If you're looking to be better than the 30th best team in baseball, it's a good idea not to lose at home to your most likely replacement.

Rasheed Wallace is from Philadelphia and I think it's awesome that he was wearing a Flyers hat after a Celtics/Cavs game. You can't get on Wallace, his team won their series even after being down 2-1. What does he have to do with the Bruins losing 4 playoff games in a row to the Flyers? I could understand if he had that lame big "P" Flyers hat that the white guys rock here, but he had a Flyers hat I've never seen. That's how NBA players roll. I remembering reading a Sports Illustrated article from the 90's that dissed Wallace and his then Portland Trailblazers teammates for talking on cell phones at an orphanage or boys home or make a wish type place, photos showing the players not caring about the kids. You just can't get that mad over a cap.

No comments: