Friday, May 23, 2008

Friendships

Hello Friends and welcome to Fancy Thoughts!

Being as this is our very first posting expect there to be a lot of changes going on here (such as the name and layout) but for now I can tell you we will be focusing on sports, media, culture and friendship. Our initial postings will come mainly in the form of rants and raves but as time goes you can expect to see more order and clarity to everything. That being said, I've got a few thoughts about the NBA so you can consider this the first rant.

If the Hawks can upgrade over Mike Bibby (easier than you think) and convince Josh Smith to stop being such a jerk (harder than you think?) they will become the official up-and-coming team of the Eastern Conference. 

If the Sixers insist on building their team around Andre Iguodala, they will very quickly lose their status as the official up-and-coming team of the Eastern Conference. I love watching him play but he's just not the type of player to lead a legitimate playoff contender. 

I like Mike D'Antoni. I really do. IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK! It's not that I don't think the Knicks can properly adjust their roster to suit his strengths. I just see too many variables coming into play during the adjustment period from absolute disgrace to rebuilding franchise to LeBron James/Dwayne Wade & Co. D'Antoni just left a title contender because he was unhappy with management. How is going to handle Big Brother and his little media cronies at the Garden? Can he really handle the daily scrutiny that will surely come with losing in New York? Sigh. Much more to come on this later.

So Isiah Thomas is still employed with no real position or responsibility with the Knicks. With the amount of money he's due to make, it's only fair that the Knicks season ticket holders be allowed to vote on his new role. Some recommendations:
Make him the halftime entertainment. The Isiah Dunk Tank (you know, for kids), The Isiah Public Stoning, shooting him out of a cannon into the backboard or having him do the tango with Stephon Marbury are all acceptable ideas.
Have him be a ticket scanner and/or hot dog seller.

With all the hype around the Sheed-KG matchup in the East Finals, I think I might the only person more excited about Tayshaun Prince vs. Paul Pierce. On a similar note, if the Pistons win, which I said they would before winning game 2, it will be due to Rondo's inability to contain Billups and I think it's totally unfair if anybody blames him for it. The dude is 22 and he had a exceptional year. With the proper grooming he is the future of that team. I hope he doesn't get too discouraged.

If Doc Rivers has the guts to go big and bench Ray Allen for James Posey, the Celtics can win this series. Paul Pierce will be a double team magnet in this lineup, leaving Posey wide open early and often. Posey is a reliable winner and Allen plays defense about as well as a broom. Give Posey the chance and he will put down open jumpers. And added attention to Pierce will only create more opportunities for Garnett.

I've got very little to say about the Western Conference Finals. The Spurs make me so bored I want to punch myself. It's starting to look like an easy win for the Lakers. This could all change in San Antonio but don't be surprised if this series only lasts 5 games. 

I hate Manu Ginobili. I'm convinced he thinks basketball is soccer with your hands. He's my least favourite basketball player and it's not even close. 

That's all I've go to say for now. If you love/hate what I said or if you just want to be my friend feel free to shoot me a line at jamespmcdonagh@gmail.com. 

Thanks for reading,

James






2 comments:

nnajar said...

YES! brilliant.

Suzi said...

this is my number 1 favorite blog