Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ice Cream Man!

Oh that's right, summer on the east coast. Somehow I force myself to forget about this for about 8 months of the year, and when the bitter cold winds of January sweep down across our rolling hills, lowlying marshes, poignant rowhouses, and archaic trolley track laden streets, it's almost as though summer never existed at all, and may never return. Ah, denial.

It's truly hard for me to come up with positive characteristics of an east coast summer, although my summers of late have been fairly calm, mildly entertaining, and not nearly as stressful as they could be. Perhaps it was for the best that I had viewed so many of my childhood summers as semi-disastrous, nerve-wracking, and breakdown inducing, because for the last several years expectations have been extremely low. Thus an environment is created where I am allowed to think freely, to have my mind unclouded of a small percentage of the huge mass of filth which often hampers its process, and best of all, I can exist without having to constantly appraise the value of my time.

It can be refreshing to be without the grinding urge to force one's time to meet up to the standards of what time's true value should be. On the other hand, with expectations set unreasonably low, it can be difficult to discern whether or not I'm ever accomplishing anything, or if I am ever growing as a person.

I have done fairly well with the online poker racket the last few weeks, though I have actually taken some time off since coming home to visit my parents. I even managed some high finishes in mtt's (as multitable tournaments will henceforth be known), which is about the amount of will I have to make online poker mimick the live gambling situation of Atlantic City, and their not-so-illustrious $50-$200 buy in tournaments. I believe that may get me close to even lifetime for these dreadful things, but I don't really care enough to actually find out. Hopefully this is not as much of a run as a cumulative consequence of time, effort and time put together, and thus by some un set date later in the year I may have accomplished enought to actually blog about poker. Clearly, I'm obligated to say something to the effect of don't count on it, though I don't know if that's because A) I lack confidence, B) it's cool to be cynical and pessimistic, or C) in paying homage to James, I totally don't want to "jinx" anything.

Halfway through the year and I have traveled some, but nowhere close to the extent of my ludicrous goals for the year. Let's check:

Places been:
New York City, New Jersey, Atlantic City (different from New Jersey), Baltimore, Philadelphia, D.C., Charlottesville VA.

Yes, seemingly pathetic; in fact much more so now that I have actually written it down. What an error.

Places I wanted to go at beginning of year:
Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Caledonia, Verona NY, Henderson NV

Places I want to go now that I can delude myself into thinking are somewhat reasonable:

Atlantic City, New Orleans, Memphis, South America, Canada

Places I want to go that aren't going to happen for one reason or another

South Dakota, Pitcairn Islands, Florida, sandwich factory

No comments: