Thursday, July 9, 2009

Parenthood is the shit!

Although I'm surely oversimplifying and/or romanticizing and/or just flat out lying to myself about what parenthood is going to entail, I can't help but get excited about having kids in the future right now. TBK and I went to Toys R Us the other day and our mutual reaction was more or less "ZOMG LOOK AT ALL THE TOYS!" I know kids are a major responsibility that require constant attention, wisdom, money, etc., etc... Fuck that! I'm fairly confident the burden of parenthood is greatly outweighed by the opportunity to play with toys for the better part of a decade.

I think it goes without saying that we all take childhood for granted. Those are precious years that go by in a heartbeat and then, before you even have time to get existential on yourself, you're considered an adult with bills and repressed issues and a grocery list. How great would it be if you had an excuse to play with toys without being labelled as "special" by your peers? Kids are the best excuse ever to set up those Hot Wheels tracks again.

I just blew my mind as I realized there's going to be a whole new generation of toys to discover by the time I have children. Forgot about Nerf and Super Soaker; kids might be playing with full blown lasers in the future. I could totally see some toy that lets kids etch things on the moon with a laser. And I haven't even gotten into traditional things like playing sports and board games with your kids. Oh man, I'm totally coaching little league. What if I only have girls? D'oh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as to your take on adulthood, I have only this to say: http://xkcd.com/150/

Edmund said...

Then I guess it's softball for you