Thursday, February 25, 2010

If the coffee doesn't get me, the spiders surely will

I've been working on a pretty serious coffee addiction for the last two months. Please note that I say coffee, and not caffeine. If I were one to keep such records, I might be able to argue convincingly that my overall caffeine consumption has decreased since the morning cup turned into the morning pot, turned into I spend too much money at Starbucks, turned into "Wow, I make lattes at home with a french press and a milk foamer" (dismissive masturbatory hand motion).

Living in the suburban metropolis that is Los Angeles, I would regularly find myself buying big gulps of diet coke to get me through the day. Nowadays I'm good with my daily homemade latte and however much caffeine is in my precise method of "Fuck it, three more scoops." Perhaps a diet based around coffee and bananas is enough to fuel the body. Even if it's not, it's a darn sight better than bacon, egg & cheese for breakfast followed by cheeseburgers for lunch.

Maybe the fresh air and constant sunshine has gotten to my head. Or it could be that becoming a responsible "adult" has made me more self-aware and therefore more conscious of the things I put in my body. Whatever it is, I've been noticing an increased dedication to healthy living from myself and those around me. Almost all of my friends have quit smoking (I'm coming up on one year myself). I eat quinoa and chicken breast for dinner with, pssht, vegetables. Who am I? Where are my chocolate fountains and deep fried everything?

What started as an exercise in vanity has turned into a whole lifestyle shift. At first, I just wanted to lose weight and look healthy. Now I want to feel healthy. I suppose it's all part of growing up and/or growing old. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I just hope I don't give up on it when I'm 32 and I have the face the fact that I will probably never be a professional athlete. I think I can live with that as long as I figure out how to dunk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The way you're headed, pretty soon you'll start doing yoga, eating kashi and drinking soy milk. I don't think even the spiders will be inclined to attack at that point.