Thursday, December 23, 2010

Seriously, where's my prize?

As part of my never-ending quest to be comically behind the curve, I just finished Blink the other day. Criticism aside- I found that it lacked any kind of conclusion to explain why it's content matters in the first place- it got me thinking about first impressions. In this instance, first impressions in celebrity sightings. Being from New York and having spent time in LA, I've seen plenty of celebrities and most of them have been fleeting moments. Just long enough to get a first impression. In all of these cases I felt that these people were doing something that made perfect sense for them. Why am I talking about this now? And why did I tie Blink into it? Because I wanted to brag about finishing. I went to film school, let me have my moment!

Just the other day I crossed paths with two of New York's finest Jew-y celebrities within ten minutes of each other. Richard Kind of Spin City fame was walking his kid home from school. (P.S 87 if you're an Upper West Side person) As soon as I saw him in the act of fathering it seemed like the only thing Richard Kind could possibly be doing on a Tuesday. Doesn't this guy just look like a dad Five blocks later I spotted poker player Erik Seidel walking out of the 72nd St train station. If you've ever been on the Upper West Side, you know how perfect it was to see this millionaire in old plain slacks, New Balance shoes and a beat up brown sweater. He might as well have been Woody Allen. If you're wondering who the hell Erik Seidel is, he is best known for a movie that has been discussed by so many novice poker players it makes me not like Matt Damon. Do you have any idea how hard it is to not like Matt Damon? Hint: Douchebags with chinstrap beards can brew up a special blend of vitriol inside a man.

Sticking with the Jews in New York theme, my encounter with Lewis Black made me worry for the man's health. Dude was straight up talking to himself. I'm not talking about struggling to retain a thought. This guy was angry about something and he wanted himself to know about it. After telling my mom about this, she recounted her own Lewis Black story and said he was equally worked up when she saw him. She even had a brief conversation with him. She's a Jewish mom, she thinks she can be friends with everybody. I really didn't plan on writing about this many New York Jews when I started this post. Also, "New York Jews" looks a lot like "New York Jets." That's it, this post has gotten out of control.

One final note: I read a book! Yay me! Where's my prize?

No comments: