Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Next stop: Heartburn

The venerable Edmund graced me with a most welcome visit recently. I'll save you the bro-love and get to the meat of our week together. By meat, I literally mean animal flesh. Despite our slight frames and rapidly deteriorating internal organs, Edmund and I like ourselves some food. So we set out to stuff ourselves with as much of New York as we could (pun alert!) stomach. With our only plans being go to Queens at some point and don't eat brunch- That's right, no brunch. Although this might shock recent immigrants from Massachusetts and Connecticut reveling in their "authentic" New York experiences, there is more to this city than $18 egg sandwiches and vegan bakeries- we backed our way into a week of indulgence any foodie could get down with. I invite all of you in New York to emulate or top the gauntlet of consumption we put together.

Tehuitzingo tacos: The only Mexican food that comes close to my experience in L.A. The unassuming front of a deli makes way to a miniature Mexican joint in the back. Two flour tortillas, perfectly cooked meat, a smattering of onions and cilantro and your choice of various salsas. Perfect.

Holey Cream donut ice cream sandwiches: Oh, it's worse than you think. They take a homemade donut, top it with three scoops of quality ice cream, dip the top of the donut in glaze and your choice of topping. I had been there once before and shared one when I was very hungry and it still gave me a stomach ache. Ed and I had a whole one each immediately after tacos. Why? Because we are champions.

Sal, Kris & Charlie's: This is where you end up when you Google "best sandiwches in Astoria." It was only 13 inches long and stuffed with about seven different cold cuts. No big deal.

B&H Dairy: One of those places that looks like it's been around for centuries. I've been going there for more than ten years. I'm not a soup person but their soup is consistently excellent and usually served by a guy I could swear has been there since my first visit. Despite being the size of a newsstand, they make fresh challah every day that matches up with any bakery in the city.

Prosperity Dumplings: Named the #2 dumpling in Chinatown for a reason. Why didn't we go to #1? What am I, the answer man? They were delicious and cost a dollar. A perfect warm up for...

Xi'an Famous Foods: This was slightly delayed by getting severely lost in Chinatown. You go on one quest for a bathroom and you get all sorts of turned around down there. Before we knew it we were in a sea of sit-down restaurants that looked no better than the run-of-the-mill joints all over the city. All I wanted was a place that does one thing really well and has at most a counter. Just when we were ready to give up we found this spot. Hand-pulled noodles made right in front of you, served with delicious meats and a hearty amount of a spicy, garlicky sauce I like to call awesome. I can't believe it took me this long to discover this place.

Continental: Okay, so this is a bar and we didn't eat anything there. But I think 5 shots for $10 is worth mentioning when Maker's Mark is one of the options. An ideal place to watch the Knicks blow a win while two girls get waaaay too drunk for 9pm and make out in an empty bar. It wasn't as cool as it sounds. Still, cheap booze!

Momiji Sushi: This was our official tipping point. We covered the cost of our $26 all you can eat sushi with the first of three rounds. We made a couple mistakes with our ordering strategy so we only got through $93 worth. Next time I'll have a plan. That place is about to go broke. Imagine the live action version of this:
They might as well buy me out now and get it over with.

Maoz: It's a chain but that doesn't make it any less delicious. Places like this just go to show you can eat 1000 calories in vegetables if you just have the willpower. 

2 Bros Pizza: Sure, we could have gone to a fancy spot like Lombardi's, but this new trend of $1 pizza spots really comes through after a night of healthy drinking. Why would you ever pay more for a slice in Manhattan these days?

Island Burgers and Shakes (for breakfast): Never underestimate a place that only does one or two things and has consistent business. I can't speak for the shakes, but they make burgers or chicken sandwiches with all sorts of topping combinations. Plenty of sauces and sandwiches so big you'll happily let them fall apart.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this a week of win. I'm talking to you, Charlie Sheen. 

No comments: