Monday, April 12, 2010

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

Well baseball season has started, and it already looks bad. I don't want to be too results oriented (which is easy when your team has a losing record), but if you don't go by results in baseball, then what is it? It's certainly not loving the way the season is going; absorbing all the disagreements, asterisks, untelevised games, fox sports, and general toomfoolery that is the MLB. I like going to games, but that's rare, and since I don't have cable the only games televised so far have been Phillies games. I'm not enough of a fan of "just baseball" to remember to watch Roy Halladay starts, and espn3.com just seems like too much. I'd rather play golf.

Clearly, the Phillies and Yankees are meeting in the World Series. We might as well just skip ahead 5 years and get to the point where the Yankees have Granderson, Sabathia, half-cyborg Ken Griffey Jr, rejuvenated Stan Musial, and genetically mutated Jorge Posada. ESPN's current power rankings have my favorite team, the Baltimore Orioles, 29th, and my 2nd favorite, the Washington Nationals, 27th. I think it's quite possible at least 4 of the 6 divisions (not AL or NL West) will have the same division winner as last year.

As far as the NBA goes, I think it's pretty nuts that so many seeds will be decided on the last game of the season. It's a good year for parity, although a good number of these teams really don't have much of a shot to win the title. I still have a tough time wrapping my mind around the notion that team from Utah or Oregon can win a major professional sports championship. The NBA certainly has a firm lock as the #3 most popular sport in America, but really, how could they possibly fall below that at this point?

I watched the Masters, and I have to say that Tiger Woods' sex scandals have apparently convinced the various golf announcers that they have carte blanche as far as criticizing his golf game, demeanor, emotional stability threshold, and of course, profanity. I'm not getting worked up about anything Tiger Woods related, but Jim Nantz needs to stop acting like the audience hearing a curse word is going to ruin the sport which isn't his anyway. Plus he's Tiger Woods-I don't have much sympathy for him and he doesn't care if I do. He will be good at golf if he stays healthy and maybe if he doesn't. I guess CBS got the "storyline" they wanted, though it wasn't much of a contest for most of the back nine. Perhaps that attests to the fortitude of the winner.

Oh, before I forget: Fuck Ben Roethlisberger. I don't want to say this will happen again soon, but mainly because it's a shitty crime I'd like not to occur. I imagine this guy is not going to change.

No comments: