Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Unreasonable

Grocery stores sure do make it difficult to get a frozen vegetable pizza that doesn't have either mushrooms or olives on it. I've comprismised my ideals by accepting the fact that artichoke might be a constant topping, but I've come to believe that part of the reason every single pizza has mushrooms on it is that American food distributors lack creativity, and furthermore, might be so ignorant as to not even be able to come up with 3 other vegetables they could put on a pizza. I could list at least 7 I like.

Tomato is a fruit, yet there seem to be no fruit/vegetable topping combos on pizza these days. Are we to believe vegetarians don't like fruit, or that vegetarians are the only people to eat pizza without meat? Personally I love pineapple on pizza, but I understand that many find such an inclusion disgusting. Still, there are other fruit on the Earth, and we are limiting ourselves. 



I watched the series premiere of "Kings" on the internet last night. In one particular scene, a group of soldiers are lounging about the desert, unprepared for the imminent attack that is soon to follow. There is a brief moment and bit of dialogue revolving around around one of the main charcters smoking a cigarette. It is an American Spirit, a fact made very clear by the ridiculous amount of camera focus and clarity on the cigarette itself. At this point, the suspension of disbelief ends for me. First of all, and I say this as someone who has been around more American Spirits than nearly every American living on the east coast, why would they have us believe a soldier in the line of duty is smoking a Spirit? It takes much longer to smoke than every other regular sized cigarette available, and does not provide the harsh drag that one might assume a soldier smoking cigarettes would want right before battle. In fact, it is the only cigarette I've ever seen where it is proper to twist out some of the tobacco rather than packing it in. This lone moment is far more urealistic to me than every fairly fantastical element of the show. I mean fantastical as in unlikely, not fantastic. 
The only reasons for this eggregious error I could come up with are: it is an advertising ploy, people who make tv shows assume 99.8% of the viewing audience are stupid, the eagle symbol on the cigarette almost resembles the butterfly symbol which appears like 197 times during a single episode of "Kings", or that perhaps we are supposed to insinuate that the reason the soldiers featured were so unprepared for the attack was because an American Spirit take so damn long to smoke. Either way, I am confident that a Spirit is more of a converstaion, video game, or driving cigarette, but certainly not a wartime smoke. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know one place where you can enjoy a different fruit topping on a pizza, but it requires a bit of travel... but if you go to Festival des Pizzas in Grenoble France and order a Pizza Hawaïenne you'll get the delicious experience of banana on your pizza (alongside the usual Hawaiian toppings of ham and pineapple). Assuming you don't want to travel out there (Grenoble's a lovely city) I suppose you could DIY.