Thursday, October 14, 2010

Turns out...

According to a smart person I met the other day, the reason your body sometimes twitches when you're falling asleep is because it thinks you might be dying. If your body doesn't know why your heart rate is slowing down it is prone to jerk you awake before your heart stops for good. To this I say, aha! For years my friends, family, enemies, and neutral Swiss acquaintances have teased me for being a hypochondriac, a drama queen, and other unflattering names. What my friends don't know is that I twitch before I fall asleep almost every night. So, you see, I am not a hypochondriac for the sake of being melodramatic. Hypochondria is ingrained deep in my nervous system. My body is naturally inclined to think it's dying every night. I might be a hypochondriac, but it was never a choice for me. So, my two or three friends reading this, save your teasing for Woody Allen. 

1 comment:

Suzi said...

It's called a hypnic jerk, which is what I will be calling you from now on.