Thursday, February 17, 2011

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."

Ah, Bahrain. You took the news spotlight for all of a few hours. It was interesting, yes, but unfortunately for you something happened in America. Nothing too important, but the point is, a thing happened somewhere. Where is Bahrain? I think it's in Cuba or maybe near Finland. I doubt anyone this side of Carmen Sandiego could prove me wrong without using the internet, and even she probably doesn't go to Bahrain much, what with her being Catholic and all.

In Iowa, a male high school wrestler defaulted (i.e. watered-down concession) in of his matches in the state tournament instead of facing his opponent, who happened to be a girl. He claims his faith prevents him from engaging in violent acts with women. His religion? Pentecostal. What is Pentecostal?

If you answered "I don't care", "It's not real", or "Christian", you are correct, and halfway to being able to defeat Watson. If only followers of organized religion had a belief not to engage in violent acts against women in, I dunno, say every other activity and waking moment in life. From the news stories I've seen across this country and the world, I was almost convinced people beat women because of religion. I'm totally down with not fighting women, I think more people should follow that creed really. And right on if this kid lives his life like this. But as far as my view of society goes, that pacifist belief only seems to be applicable to wrestling tournaments and maybe Lilith Fair. Perhaps people could start doing it the other 23 hours of the day.

As long as I'm on the beaten path of providing tangible ideas that will prevent me from ever being elected president, let's get down to brass tacks. I figure there are legitimately only three reasons why this kid didn't want to wrestle her:

1) He might lose to her in front of his family and friends.

2) He might get a boner and then lose to her in front of family and friends.

3) He might win and feel oddly conflicted, suddenly grappling with an urge to sort out the complexities of gender relations in this country, discovering that things in life are far less black and white that high school would have you believe. Examining the textured fabric of our patriarchal society through an objective lens? Yea, cause that's what I think of when I see the word religion.

No comments: