Saturday, February 5, 2011

Change the style up like Kanye

Did you think this blog was nothing but frivolousness and self-emasculating snark? Today I've got none of the snark but plenty of the self-emasculating for you. It's time for Banteranter's first ever recipe. I've been tweaking a chili recipe for years and it has always been well-received. If you don't like my recipe, blame my friends for being cowards and lying to my face. 


Another Three-Bean Chili Recipe
(You can easily incorporate meat by adding ground beef or ground turkey before the tomato)

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium orange pepper, seeded and chopped
1 30 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 chipotle chiles packed in adobo (or more if you like heat), chopped
2-3 teaspoons adobo from the can (see above)
2 pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 14oz can each black beans, kidney beans and white beans, drained and rinsed
***Spices***

Saute the onion over medium heat for five minutes or until it starts to get a slight char. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for another two minutes. Lower the heat and mix a touch of salt, cayenne pepper and cumin to the pot. Integrate the spices into the veggies and add the tomatoes. Bring the heat back to medium and add the chipotles, adobo and jalapenos. When tomatoes begin to simmer, add the beans and mix everything together. Add spices...

I eyeball my spices so in lieu of specific instructions, take what you will from my spice combination.

Essential spices: Cayenne pepper, paprika, various chili powders (more variety always pays off for me), cumin, onion powder, ginger powder, celery salt.
Optional: Brown sugar, curry powder, garlic powder, cocoa powder.
Secret ingredient: Cinnamon (don't overdo it but I highly recommend sprinkling some in).
Power bombs: Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, peanut butter, dark lager, cider vinegar.

Use a spice combination that you like and lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and and let simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Serve with any combination of grated cheese, sour cream, cilantro and bacon.

Maybe I'll take some pictures later after doing yoga and buying a $6 croissant so I can complete my transformation to Superyuppie.

No comments: