Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mis-en-place is for wimps

As I am wont to do, I cooked a large amount of food ahead of time before I got sucked into the work week. While the primary motivation for this is my thriftiness frugality being cheap, another large part of my planning ahead is that it allows me to engage is greater acts of laziness throughout the week. Having ready-made meals on hand ensures I won't have to expend any effort on it in the coming days. All I've got are the dregs that remain of the incompatible dishes I made four days ago? Great, throw them into a bowl and call it lunch. Yeah, things get weird for me on Thursday. 

Looking to avoid my regular mid-week lull, I took my prepping one step further and made everything ahead of time this week. I cooked up a shit ton of sandwich meat and bought some wraps since they won't get soggy while they wait for their day of glory. However, I had to make sure I didn't just eat the same damned sandwich every day or I would literally go mad from monotony.

Just like this, except with sandwiches instead of steroids

I set out to make myself five unique concoctions. Again, allow me to remind you that this venture was borne out of laziness. So I did what any refined gastronome would do: I took out every possible ingredient from the fridge, laid them all out on the counter and threw on a blindfold. Okay, I didn't literally blindfold myself, but I definitely turned a blind eye to logic. No man with a plan combines Thai chili sauce, sun dried tomatoes, tzatziki sauce, coleslaw, pickle relish and broccoli. You know what else that guy won't do? Be as awesome as me. Just ask Barney.


No comments: