Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Don't make no sense

Every time I get deja vu, I get deja vu of that particular deja vu experience. (In case you were counting, I fit "deja vu" into that sentence three times) Does this mean my thought process is more advanced than the average human, or have I simply smoked too much pot in my days? Whatever it is, I'm fairly sure deja vu remains one of the unsolved mysteries of mankind, and that creeps me out when I think about it too much. How many unsolved mysteries do we really have in the world? *

How did the universe come to be?
Is there a god?
What's the deal with deja vu?

I'm obviously simplifying the argument to skew it in my favor, but I don't think that negates my point. When I was a kid I spent the better part of a week trying to convince people I had either time traveled or been reincarnated. Even in my wiser, depressingly agnostic state of mind, I might be more partial to believe either of those than to accept the explanation of (verbal equivalent of a shoulder shrug) for this phenomenon. Whatever it is, I just hope I can keep my deja vu loop to a harmless count of two or three. I can't imagine I could go with that too long before my head exploded or, if we're being sticklers for realism, I gave myself a brain aneurysm.

*I'm talking about philosophical mysteries. Don't come to me with examples like the Lindburgh baby or Jimmy Hoffa.

3 comments:

Edmund said...

I feel you. I've had deja vu chains of like 4 or 5, but theyre often seperated by what feel like years, so it's hard to quantify. Still, I rarely get a deja vu of an "actual" occurrence, they are usually a recurrence of a previous deja vu experience. Sometimes it's hard to tell when they actually started or if it's all a figment of my imagination. I doubt pot has anything to do with it, and I'm certain I've had these things happen when I was a kid too.

Edmund said...

Additional possible mysteries:

How many universes are there, or what the fuck is our universe?

Are there multiple dimensions existing within the same "space"
(I use quotation marks because space is probably just how we perceive it)?

What really exists at the bottom of the ocean?

Why did Everybody Loves Raymond exist for so many seasons?

Anonymous said...

New question, can déjà vu be caused by the power of suggestion? Because I experienced really bad déjà vu yesterday and I think it was caused by reading this.

PS The Wikipedia page on déjà vu is really interesting.

PPS How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?