Friday, April 3, 2009

Writing about food makes me hungry

I've been in L.A. for almost a month now and the only consistent things in my life have been sleeping and eating. Since nobody wants to know about the horrifying images I conjure up in my dreams, how about I offer up some of my initial thoughts on the food here?

I'm not a big fast food guy, but I can see In-N-Out Burger becoming a problem. The double-double is the best fast food burger I've ever had in my life, and I used to be the fat kid. Throw in the artery clogging wonder of animal style and you've got yourself one top notch joint.

Although I haven't been to too many taco trucks yet, I'm very pleased with what I've seen. All of the taco trucks I've been to have three qualities I always flock to: cheap, simple, and delicious. So far the best one is Taco Zone in Silver Lake. I'd be more specific about the location but leaving it open gives me a nice segue to link to this handy article about taco stands that mentions Taco Zone. According to said article, Taco Zone is quite popular on Yelp. I wouldn't know about that. I tend to distrust websites frequented/run by overbearingly hip people.

Now burgers and tacos are great, but you're probably thinking to yourself, "This is L.A. Where's the healthy food at?" I have one (compound) word for you: YOGURTLAND. Yogurtland is easily my favorite thing about L.A. right now. Yes, I included friends, sunshine and free housing when I considered that statement. Yogurtland trumps all of those things. If nothing else, Yogurtland's existence means I never have to set foot in Pinkberry, which is kind of a big deal for the misanthrope in me. Perhaps it's contradictory that I'll go to the quite popular Yogurtland, but it's too late anyway. I'm totally hooked. You get your choice of 16 delicious flavors- Plain Tart, Blueberry Tart, Bananas Foster, Pistachio, I could keep going- and more toppings than I could count, ranging from fresh fruit to candy (I put kitkats on top of my cheesecake yogurt the other day) to typical toppings like sprinkles and caramel. I'm a big fan of putting some condensed milk on top of my yogurt construction to add a little creaminess. Oh, did I mention it's DIY and costs 30 cents/ounce? That's $4.80/pound. I've yet to spend $5 there and believe me when I tell you I really pile it on. Of course, it's still yogurt and if you manage to eat less than a pound and stay away from the candy you're looking at a cheap, healthy, scrumptious treat.

One more thing about Yogurtland to all you NYC readers. They just opened a location in Greenwich Village! Go! Right now! Stop reading! Exclamation points!!!
The website is www.yogurt-land.com. Please note the hyphen.


And now, to paraphrase the only comedians ever worthy of the "genius" tag*, here's something completely irrelevant:

*All due respect to Richard Pryor, George Carlin and Woody Allen.

No comments: