Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Money for potatoes

Apparently pennsylvania McDonald's exist on a completely different sprectrum than their fair minded equivalents in the rest of the country. 

Specifically, this is about McDonald's breakfast, a.k.a. the only edible fast food available on the east coast. I won't get into the various price increases in every single item on the menu, whether you compare today's prices to those from 2 years ago, 10 years ago, or when we were little kids. Remember 49 cent hamburgers? I do. 

Aside: When I was 15, my mom and I had yet to get a computer so I wrote all my school assignments on a typewriter. Said typewriter had a cents symbol, much like I have $ symbol on my computer now. Well, I certainly don't have a cents symbol now, is this a sign of the times, or just a sign that my computer is a complete anomally? I need an answer!

Say you order hash browns. Nowdays they're either $1.19 or $1.29 or maybe 2 bucks in  NYC or perhaps only a dollar in Oklahomha or Alabama. I don't know about the latter.

Still, every single time you get TWO hash browns for whatever the amount is. Thats' why on the menu it says, "hash browns" not "hash brown". They're not sheep, there is a singular form and it would be clarified if it was so. Seven months ago I ordered hash browns in Pennsylvania, and I got one. Some time later I went home to Maryland, and after an exhausting night of smoking weed and playing Risk, I stopped by McDonalds for some bullshit southern chicken sandwhich, which means it is fried and has a pickle. Such activity spurred me to ask my friend whether someone gets 1 or 2 hash browns per order. The mere mention of this question caused my friend to fall into near convulsions, followed by him calling me an idiot or the like. The point: it's ridiculous to think you don't get two hash browns per order. I mean, they are a slice of fried frozen potato. A few trips in various states since have confirmed this (I use few very generously, I don't wake up early).

Cue yesterday, and my side stop at a McDonalds on the way to walking to the local SEPTA station. Again, I was very confused as whether to ask for hash browns or a hash brown, but I figured I should go with the plural just in case. 

I got two hash browns. But best believe, I was charged for two orders. Not a chance there were 4 hash browns in that bag. I hand the nice lady a single Lincoln and I get a medium (and oh god, how much has medum shrunk?) orange juice, two hash browns, and some coins back. 

Seriously? I don't think McDonald's are franchised like gas stations, and that really shouldn't matter anyway. There is a dark, disturbing answer at the bottom of this problem, and I'm not sure I want to know what it is.

The only positive from this experience is that at McDonald's, if you pay with a credit or debit card, all you have to do is swipe it. That's all. No pin, no confirm button, no signature, just a swipe. I have yet to experience this anywhere else in America. You would think someone else would get on the ball and have this technology readily available at their respective business. 

I guess no one is as smart as the golden arch.

No comments: