Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hungry going on hangry

Having the lady friend in town has provided me the perfect opportunity to get off the fitness high horse and indulge in some of the finer things in the name of romance. Thank god for that, I wasn't going to last much longer without a burger in this town. Nobody has explained to me how it came about yet, but L.A has almost as many burger joints as it does taco trucks. I was happy to oblige my lady's request for some In-N-Out and she had no complaints about accompanying me to the highly touted Golden State. Right across the street from overhyped "deli" Canter's, Golden State has the courage to only have one burger on its menu, simply called "The Burger." While it didn't quite live up to the hype, the burger was moist and flavorful and came with thick, delicious bacon and a healthy slice of cheddar. It went well with the BLT with avocado (BLTA) we shared. This sandwich wasn't put together too well, but I give Golden State props for acknowledging the magic that is a BLT with avocado and making it a permanent part of the sandwich instead of an overpriced add-on.

As if we didn't get enough bacon at Golden State, we made it a point to head to the Nickel Diner in hell downtown just to get a donut. Oh yeah, it had bacon on it. Although it might be more novelty than gourmet breakthrough, you can only do so much wrong in serving a maple-infused bacon donut. Same goes for the chocolatey, peanut buttery cake with crumbled potato chips dotting the buttercream icing. It was a salty-sweet party and it's no surprise that we quickly descended into a food coma after escaping downtown. Still, their desserts can't rival one of my favorite spots in L.A, Milk.

Milk makes some of the best ice cream in town, which is good since their desserts are sold well beyond the small shop conveniently located in the center of L.A where, you know, humans actually habitate. I've had the explosions that they call milkshakes before. I took this opportunity to try one of the ice cream sandwiches people rave about so much. You know what helps an ice cream sandwich? Using a macaron instead of a cookie. I don't want anything to do with ice cream sandwiches. Except of course for the half dozen or so other falvors they have at Milk. We had the strawberry one which means I wouldn't be doing myself desssert justice if I don't get around to eating a more chocolate-centric one. And then there's the blueberry yogurt bar and the blueberry flavored blue velvet cake. Oh, I can't forget the chocolate croissant bred pudding. D'oh, so hungry! I guess it's time for fish tacos, although I'd trade all these great meals for a genuine New York deli sandwich.

No comments: