Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'll admit I'm spoiled, but the concessions end there

My mother is a New York Jew. I'll exploit that stereotype as an excuse for my bellyaching until the day I die, so don't mistake my tone as being apologetic when I point out that I complain about the suburban qualities of L.A. more than I should. Heritage aside, I find it irrepressibly stressful that the second largest city in this country seemingly shuts down at 10 PM. 7/11 and Ralphs do not qualify as enticing night life destinations in my book.

I know New York is a unique snowflake in a world littered with regular sleep schedules and conservative lifestyles. I'm not asking for a city that offers anything on par with that level of stimulation. If I want a New York experience, I'll go to New York. But is it too much to ask for options beyond chain diners and strip clubs after the sun goes down? Where are we, New Jersey?

No comments: