Monday, March 1, 2010

National Pride

As I assume many non-hockey fans did yesterday, I tuned in for gold medal game. Despite my best efforts, my friends declined my offer to join me in a spirited "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chant. That's okay, I'm sure we'll have plenty of nail biters when the top 12 players in the NBA crush the rest of the world in wherever the hell the next Summer Olympics take place. (Seriously, I have no idea where they are. I stopped caring about the Olympics when I got tired of watching Bob Costas talk about how awesome America is for 23 hours a day.) Maybe, just maybe, we can conjure up a respectable showing in South Africa this summer.

My soccer knowledge is nowhere near what it used to be, but that won't stop me from being chock full of opinions. It would be naive of me to claim the U.S is a major contender in the World Cup. However, for the first time that I can think of, we might be sending some of our best athletes to represent us. When I look at Jozy Altidore, I see a superfreak on par with the stars we're used to seeing in the NBA and NFL. I see a child- he's only 20- strong enough to make a world class defender look helpless to overpower him.



The U.S is full of people like Jozy Altidore. Once we start convincing them to play the world's game, there might be no stopping us.

Bigger. Stronger. Faster. U-S-A! U-S-A!

1 comment:

Suzi said...

Bob Costas is a a scourge of humanity. I'm glad you've come around.

You've set your sights high for the U.S. soccer team, and thus I am pumped. Respectable showing for me? Certainly final 8.

If we shipped it, I might lose my mind. It would be different if say, The Gambia, Mauritius, Laos, or Guatemala were a soccer power, but honestly, how am I supposed to sympathize with Italy, France, or Brazil?

-Edmund