Monday, March 22, 2010

Let's try dimension #36

Amid the hoopla of the NCAA basketball tournament, the rest of American sports take a backseat for half a month. This is nothing new, it happens every year; the attention span and bandwagon jumping of most sports fans rival that of a 19th century prospector. What's different about this year, or at least potentially different, is the fanfare surrounding the ladies' college tournament.

Originally, I thought the excitement might come close, and by close I mean not really that close to that of the men's tournament. Instead, the women's tourney is again dwarfed, if only because of the best efforts of the media, who started crowning Thursday the greatest single day in basketball history at 12:45 pm. It's like people have never seen close games before.

However, even those who vocalize their support for women's basketball are easily marginalized, for one has to question how authentic or helpful excitement can be when it revolves solely around one team's quest (UConn). I still feel it is more popular than hockey though, but hopefully that will change so that people actually realize there is a good sports team in D.C.


Sports Breakdown and Predictions:

NBA:

It looks as though nearly all the 16 playoff teams have sports locked up, but the matter of seeding remains to be determined. There is a mathematical chance that either Toronto or Portland could be caught, but unlikely. Chicago is only 2.5 games back of the #8 seed in the East, but they problem is they suck. Not that the Raptors are any good either, an I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't become at least a 10-1 dog against the Cavs. Portland doesn't have to play either of the teams chasing them, and thus it appears we know how will be in the playoffs. Here's how I see it shaking out.

I don't believe any of the clear cut best teams in the East will lose in the 1st round. The only chance I see of that happening is if Miami played Boston, but I still doubt it. Cleveland, Atlanta, and Orlando are all really good, and the bottom 4 east teams float somewhere in the average to slightly above range. Additionally, I'm pretty sure I called the Bucks making the playoffs before the year season started.

In the west, I believe the Lakers, Nuggets, Suns, and Thunder will move on the 2nd round. I don't know what the consensus opinion is, but a Denver/LA rematch in the West finals seems to be quite possible to me. The Suns are 1-3 against the Lakers this year, but I think beat them the last time they met in the playoffs. I could also see the Spurs pulling some shit and getting to the finals.

Orlando will win the NBA title. Book it.

NHL:

Na, I'm just kidding.

MLB:

AL East-New York, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto
AL Central-Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Cleveland, Kansas City (this has to be one of the 3 consistently very crappy sports franchises out there right?)
AL West-Seattle, Texas, Los Angeles, Oakland

NL East-Philadelphia, Atlanta, Washington, New York, Florida
NL Central-Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh (mandatory last place predicition)
NL West-San Francisco, Los Angeles, Colorado, Arizona, San Diego

NASCAR:

The guy who won the last 4 championships has won 60% of the races this year. I hope he wins like 19 titles in a row, and really fucks up the sport.

No comments: