Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cautious optimism

Those two words sum up how I and most NFL fans should be feeling right now. We're a whole quarter of the way through the season and I can honestly say I've never been witness to such a significant shakeup in the NFL power structure. The Tom Brady injury is only the tip of the iceberg. The Colts look old, the Cowboys look vulnerable, and I have no clue who I'm supposed to call the favorite in the AFC. Well, that was enough coherence for me. Here's my scattered thoughts on this wild season:

- The Titans might very well be the best team in the league right now. Let me say that differently: Kerry Collins might the quarterback for the best team in the league. Yes, the same Kerry Collins responsible for this debacle. The good things for the Titans is that their defense is good enough to make grown men cry, if it hasn't already. As Bill Simmons explained this team is locked in. The only things that stands in their way right now is a potential Kerry Collins relapse (he's an alcoholic and my joke isn't funny at all) or the possibility of Vince Young getting back on the field. Like it or not, Collins is the better option here. Here's a classic "game manager" with enough experience to play solidly (not screw it up) let a good team do it's thing.

- If you happen a Colts fan and a Bills fan, you've got to have some conflicting feelings right now. The Bills are indeed 4-0 but they've had one too many comeback wins to make me comfortable. Still, Trent Edwards seems to know what he's doing out there and they've got a future Pro Bowler in Marshawn Lynch. He also seems to cope with success pretty well:




Getting back to the Bills, I think it's too early to get overly excited, but right now they seem to be on track to win the AFC East. The Jets are about as awful as I thought and Fuckhead Tom Brady is indeed out for the season. The Patriots are still stacked, but Matt Cassell is clearly not going to pan out and it took Randy Moss all of three seconds to quit on the season. Miami isn't even deserving of this sentence. So things are looking up for the Bills. If they get past Arizona this weekend (which they should) then they're well on their way to thinking about the playoffs. If I get around to reworking my playoff predictions bracket, I'll try and figure out a way for the Bills to go to the Superbowl. I don't say this to jinx them, I'm just saying it could happen. 

As for the Colts, only fans like Edmund can say they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  They're looking at the very real possibility of finishing third in the division and, unless you're the in the NFC East, that's not going to cut it. Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic, but I it's fairly obvious that this team is getting old. With Sanders down again the defense is really going to struggle. Let's not forget that his return was a major part of the Superbowl run two years ago. The good news? That Peyton Manning sure knows how to step up when he has to. Games against Houston and Baltimore provide just the kind of opportunity Manning needs to right this ship. If the Colts can win those two games, they're back on track. If they lose one? Sigh.

- Sticking with the title of this post, I'm not celebrating the Giants' success just yet. That being said, things are looking pretty damned good. Unexpected Cowboys and Eagles losses have really opened things up in the NFC East. The Giants seem to be the unanimous #1 in the league right now and their schedule looks much more friendly than it did at the beginning of the season. If they can win the next three games (Seahawks, 49ers, Browns) then they're a 1-2 run away from a virtual playoff lock. The way things are going, I expect the Giants to pull of at least one win during or Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles death march in the middle of the season. The only thing that worries me is The Giants' tendency to implode during the second half. Maybe, just maybe, they keep with the feel of this season and grow from last year. I'd talk about how they look great but spectacular in certain areas but I've already said too much for a pretend superstitious person such as myself. 

- Despite logic, reason and common sense dictating otherwise, I still say the Chargers are the most dangerous team in the AFC. Yes, I'm serious. There are a million reasons to doubt them, but I don't think there's a single team that wants a piece of them come playoff time. They may, in fact, miss the playoffs but that doesn't change my opinion of them. Say what you will about Philip Rivers (douchebag), the dude is a gamer. Ladanian Tomlinson is older, slower, hurt and still gives opposing fans a combined heart attack and stroke every time he touches the ball. I'm not giving up on this team. If they get it together, I might even pick them to make the Superbowl.

- Remember when I said the Brown would be dangerous in the playoffs? Oops.

- I've heard convincing arguments for the Bucs, Saints and Panthers to win the NFC South. This division is such a toss up, I wouldn't be that surprised if the Falcons stole the damned thing. 

- It's must be really discouraging to be in the NFC not East (?????). Hey, we made the playoffs! I can't wait to get wrecked by the Giants/Cowboys/Eagles! Does want to bet the NFC Champion will come from another division? You know how to reach me.

- I really don't know what to do about forecasting the AFC. There are so many teams that could conceivable win the whole thing. I'll get back to you in four weeks.

That's all I've got. Football isn't important enough for me to write this much. Especially with my poor grammar and lack of humor. Well, I'm not here to entertain you people! Wait, yes I am. Ah, nuts. 

Don't forget to make sure you're registered to vote. Also, if you only watch The Daily Show for one month every four years, this should be that month.


No comments: