Thursday, October 9, 2008

Edmund inspires me

Lists galore here at HSWE! Now that Edmund has popped the list making cherry, I couldn't resist the urge to make one myself. I was going to make my 1970's Top 10, but it wasn't that much fun since the top two are indisputable in my mind. Hint: they both contain the word "godfather" in their title. The one interesting thing I found in making my 70's list is that if it weren't for A Clockwork Orange, Coppola would have all of the top three (Apocalypse Now). Well, now you know my top four for the 70's. Consider it a four film bonus to my Top 10 of the 2000's you're about to read.

I have no set criteria for ranking movies (at least not until I get paid for things like this) except that I, like Edmund, am unbiased toward awards and popularity. I consider these movies to be the best for a multitude of reasons, some more personal than others. My taste is probably a little more mainstream than some would prefer, but part of being unbiased in not judging films for being successful or universally praised. At least that's my opinion. Also like Edmund, I'm only including movies I've seen. I guess this would be a good time to admit I haven't seen City of God. Oops! Without anymore justification or explanation, here's my Top 10 Films of the 2000's:

10) Traffic
9) The Pianist
8) You Can Count on Me
7) Y Tu Mama Tambien
6) The Royal Tenenbaums
5) Requiem for a Dream
4) Adaptation
3) Lost In Translation
2) There Will Be Blood
1) No Country for Old Men

On the bubble: Brokeback Mountain

Juuuuuuust missed out: Memento, Kill Bil Vol. 1, Million Dollar Baby, Letters From Iwo Jima, Shrek, A History of Violence, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Good Night and Good Luck, Children of Men, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Honorable mentions: Moulin Rouge, The Departed, Babel, Black Hawk Down, The Bourne Ultimatum, Almost Famous, Munich, Little Miss Sunshine, Donnie Darko, Juno, Closer, Gladiator, Apocolypto, Blow, Catch Me if You Can

Fuck off: Chicago, Mystic River, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Gangs of New York, Amelie, Crash, Mulholland Drive, Training Day, 25th Hour, Sin City

A special place in my heart: Saw, Dude Where's My Car?

I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment yet: The Dark Knight

I hope this is on the list in a year's time: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

2 comments:

Edmund said...

You Can Count on Me was a great, and truthful decision. Many people might not go there, but for sure it's at least #8.

Curious that Life Aquatic and maybe Big Fish got no mention further down in the various "labeled" categories.

It's a list someone should get paid to compile.

Betsy said...

How about The Fall ???