Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The times they are a-changin'

Once upon a time, when I was just a wee child, I went to Stuyvesant High School. Stuyvesant has always had a reputation as one of the best public schools in the country and proudly sends more than a handful of students to distinguished colleges to become president or whatever the hell it is good students end up doing with their lives. Like so many other schools, Stuyvesant loved to stress the significance of extracurricular activities to your continued success in life. However, I don't remember things being like this at all:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/frontrunners/

While I was never the most active student at Stuyvesant High School, I wasn't one of those quiet kids studying in the corner either. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, but I don't remember the Student Union (SU) ever being this relevant. Back then, we were concerned with doing more important things like protesting wars and cutting class to go get high. The SU was, if anything, an afterthought to the constant struggle for good grades, 1600 SAT scores and, you know, cutting class to go get high. I don't think I remember a single person that was in the SU. Maybe I should have taken things more seriously back then. Whatever, here's the movie's website if you wish to learn more:

FrontRunners

No comments: