Monday, October 6, 2008

I don't get it

Apparently, Dane Cook is so famous my mother knows who he is. Worse yet, she knows enough about him to have an opinion of him (she thinks he's funny in case you were wondering). Now, I happen to think Dane Cook's undeserving movie stardom is relatively inoffensive when compared to, say, Kirsten Dunst, but I really can't wrap my head around this one. I don't mean this as a knock on my mother, who I feel stays within the confines of parental pop culture knowledge fairly well. She knows who Shia Lebouef is. She probably knows who Mandy Moore is. Dane Cook? Somehow I doubt she got around to catching Employee of the Month. This leads me to ask, has Dane Cook really ascended to the level of fame where people simply know who he is?
Listen, I like Dane Cook. I think his stand up, potential plagiarism notwithstanding, is extremely funny at times. He seems to understand that he's not winning any Oscars and embraces the idea that he might as well cash in on romcoms (see: My Best Friend's Girl. Good Luck Chuck) while he still can. This doesn't explain to me how he's become a household name. He's neither talented not attractive enough for it to make sense. Can anybody unravel this mystery for me? I'd try and ask Dane Cook himself, but we all know he'd just pull the "I'm just doing my thing and if people like it, great!" card. I don' think I like Dane Cook anymore. I'm funny too, but I don't get paid to kiss Jessica Alba and act goofy. In fact, I don't get paid to do anything. It's a cruel, cruel world we live in.

P.S: If I misspelled Shia Lebouef and you wish to point it out, don't. I've had friends longer than he's been famous who still can't spell my name. Actually, I think I might only have one friend who can spell my name. It's a cruel, cruel world we live in.

No comments: